The Management of University of Calabar Teaching Hospital has temporarily closed its Accident and Emergency ward after decontaminating the ward where a patient died of Viral Hemorrhagic fever.
The Chairman, Medical Advisory Committee, Dr. Queeneth Kalu, made this known when she briefed newsmen on the outcome of the blood samples carried out on the patient in Calabar on Saturday.
Kalu said a temporary A&E ward had been set up to attend to patients, noting that those quarantined had also been released and directed to report twice daily for monitoring.
According to her, preliminary result of the blood samples of the patient does not indicate any traces of Ebola virus or Lassa fever.
“We are pleased to inform you that preliminary tests have excluded Ebola and Lassa fever. Further tests are being done for confirmation in line with international standards,” she said.
The management further said that clinical services in the hospital were still opened on inpatient and outpatient basis.
“We are grateful to all who have shown concern over this incident,” she said.
The decontamination exercise was carried out by officials of Medical Response Unit, Centre for Disease Control, Federal Ministry of Health.
After the exercise, leader of the team, Mr. John Kehinde, Director of Environmental Health, Centre for Disease Control, advised members of Staff of the A&E ward to go about the normal jobs.
“There is no cause for alarm. They should continue their work without fear because everything is now okay, but they should ensure that the environment where they work is always clean.
“This is what we do in cases of any contagious infection and it will last for 72 hours after which the ward will open for staff and patients,” Kehinde said.