The WAEC on Wednesday released the full results of 1,543,683 candidates who sat for its May/June 2013 Secondary School Certificate Examination.
The number represents 91.38 per cent of 1,689,188 candidates who registered for the examination,.
The Head of National Office (HNO) of WAEC, Dr Charles Eguridu, announced the results on Wednesday when he addressed a news conference in Lagos.
Eguridu said 889,636 candidates obtained six credits and above, while 1,074,065 others obtained five credits and above.
According to him, the results of 145,505 others, representing 8.62 per cent, were being processed due to some errors.
“These errors are traceable to the candidates as well as their schools in the course of registration or writing the examination.’’
The HNO explained that such errors were being corrected by the council to enable the affected candidates to get their results fully processed and released subsequently.
Eguridu disclosed that the council cancelled the result of 2,176 candidates.
He explained that the cancellation was due to multiple entries by the candidates discovered while processing the results.
“In line with the council’s regulation, the entire results of such candidates who have been found guilty of this act had been cancelled, “ he said.
The HNO also said 112,865 results of candidates, representing 6.75 per cent, were withheld due to examination malpractice.
Eguridu pointed out that the cases were being investigated and that reports of the investigations would be presented to the Nigeria Examinations Committee (NEC) for consideration.
Further breakdown revealed that 1,225,591 candidates obtained credits and above in four subjects, 1,353,273 obtained credits and above in three subjects, while 1,465,581 obtained credits and above in two subjects.
Eguridu said that of the 121 blind candidates, 117 attempted it while 24 obtained five credits in five subjects including English Language.
“Blind candidates do not take Mathematics and Science Practical in WASSCE diets“, he said.
He hailed security agencies for providing the much needed security throughout the conduct of the examination.
The HNO said that despite the security challenge in the country, especially in some parts of the North-East, the council was able to conduct the examination.
“We thank the Federal government and security agencies particularly in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States for the support rendered the council during the conduct of our examination.
“We equally commend the Federal and State Ministries of Education for their support in terms of their facilities and logistics given to us during the conduct of the examination.’’
He decried the murder of three of the council’s personnel by gunmen while on their way from Yola to Maiduguri.
The candidates can check their results online on the council’s website within 24 hours of the declaration of the results. (NAN)
Check Back here for procedures