THE TRUTH ABOUT FIRST AND SECOND CHOICE SELECTION IN NIGERIAN ADMISSION

Much has been said about the admission process in our country, Nigeria, Especially the myth surrounding the admission or Non-admission of Second choice candidates in Nigerian Universities.

Most post-utme candidates believes that the Universities in Nigeria has formed a habit of turning down the application of second choice candidates for the sole reason that they selected them as second choice, and as such requires such candidates to go for their first choice institutions. This is not a lie, if we go through the admission process of Nigerian Universities.
It has become a tradition in Nigeria that our second choice applicants no longer have hope in their second choice institutions and hence, needs to do all to gain admission in their First choice.

VNTI have been able to make some research as well as asking some questions, and we have been able to come up with some interesting facts which we want to share with you all, who should in turn share it with your friends.
These facts, though have their exceptions but stands true 75% of the time. Below are some highlights;

> Most Federal universities in nigeria do not accept second choice applicants. Exception Includes; UNILLORIN, UNN, OAU, UI, UNIABUJA, and few others.
> All Federal Universities do not Accept second choice candidates for Professional Courses.
> Post-utme Candidates stand a higher chance of gaining admission( statistically about 75% chance) into a state owned university if they are selected as your First choice.
> Post-utme candidates have about 50% chance of admission into a state University if they are your second choice.
> you can hardly be admitted for professional programmes including, but not limited to:
Law,
Medcine,
Economics,
Engineering,
Pharmacy and
Political science in any institution which you place for a second choice.
> Some institutions also levy additional charges on post- ume forms for second choice applicants to the extent of fixing the post-utme of second choice applicants on a separate day.
> Some Institutions on the worst side, do not welcome second choice applicants for their post-utme examination. A notable example is the Nnamdi Azikiwe University(UNIZIK) where second choice applicants are not invited for the post-utme test.
> All Federal and state polytechnics always admit both first and second choice applicants if and if only you pass their post utme examination
> All first admissio list released by our Institutions mostly contains names of only those that meet the University and departmental cut-off marks and also selected the institution as their first choice.
> Post-utme candidates can easily gain admission for less competitve programmes when you apply for them in your JAMB UTME. VNTI has always provided a list of less competitive courses as related to the institution being considered.
> Most importantly, prepare and study well.
> The following Universities;
The University of Nigeria(UNN),
The University of Calabar(UNICAL),
The University of Port-harcourt(UNIPORT),
The Federal University of Oye-Ekiti(FUOYE),
The Bayero University Kano(BUK),
The University of Jos(UNIJOS), and
The Federal University of Technology Akure(FUTA) are among the family of Universities in which the candidate should score 200 and above to be eligible to take part in the University post-utme.

The VNTI team would be back with further reviews as always. We remain your No. 1 nigerian educational resource portal.

If You appreciate the VNTI efforts toward improving academic excellence, don’t hesitate to share this using the SHARE button below and join us for future updates using the JOIN US ON FACEBOOK/TWITTER LINK at the top.

About Obasi Chinedu

Obasi Chinedu Is an Author at www.nigerianuniversitynews.com. He is a member of the Nigerian Union of Campus Journalist (NUCJ). You can reach out to Him On Twitter via @Obasi_Chinedu

Comments

1. When is Ondo State University of Science and Technology(OSUSTECH) Post Utme form coming out?

2. Avatar john olusegun says

wen is laspotech post utme form coming out?

3. Avatar christopher says

will i b given admission in uniport {second choice} with 211 in jama and 208 in post utme for accounting?.tanx alot.

4. Avatar christopher says

will i b given admission in uniport {second choice} with 211 in jamb and 208 in post utme for accounting?.tanx alot.

5. Avatar dannyrilson says

pls update me about uniport’s cut off marks (xpecially 4 pol.science).
    And why didn’t N.D.U publish their second choice post-ume result??
    ……tnx.

6. Avatar Simon obinna says

What are the qulification of geting addmition into uniben in jamb and post ume

7. Avatar Chukwuemeka nze says

Will i be admitted in Funai my jamb 206 and post ume 185 making my aggregate 195.5 in the department of History and strategic Studies(1st Choice) tanx

8. I’m preparing for d 2013/2014 utme. I’m planning to choose OAU as 2nd choice to study International relations. My O’level subjects combinations did not include Lit-in-Eng&History,but Govt &other subjects. Pls, am i good to go for d course ? &as well can I choose OAU as 2nd choice ? Pls, help me. I dnt want to make a mistake. Thanks& God bless !

9. (1)please i want to study law in uniben or unn in 2013/2014 admission but i am still confuse of the one to place as first or second choice?
    (2) I got all other art subjects with at least credits in o’level result except maths and i later got it through Neco. will the above mentioned institution accept me for law?. is there any other good alternative…
    please advice me as soon as possible so that i can include in jamb registration through my email. or call 08168134802. thanks

10. Can i possibly be admitted in U.I into Elect/Elect if i choose them as my second choice?

11. do NDU accepts 2nd choice??

12. Pls, wil i get admission into uniabuja 2 study political science..i choose it as my second choice

13. Pls, can i get admission into uniabuja as my second choice 2 study political science?

14. Avatar Tolulope Gideon says

when will unijos release its 2013/2014 admission list

15. Avatar Tolulope Gideon says

i applied for law in unijos my score in jamb and post utme is 194 and 56% respectively, can i be given admission to study law. i applied as first choice.

16. Pls does CRUTECH allow Non choice to Purchase the 2013 Post Ume form and hw do i go about it, if im Intererest, notify me in my Inbox…i.e if u did nt choose it in Jamb……Awaiting ur Reply, Thanx

17. i had 236 in jamb, 312 in uniport putme, second choice. Would i be admitted in the 3rd list?

18. Having a tough decision on the schools i should choose any advice?

19. Avatar EMMANUEL says

AM HAVING A DIFFICULT CHALLENGES WITH D UNIVERSITY I WANNA GO FOR PLEASE I NEED YOUR ADVICE….PLEASE NOTE THAT I WANT TO JOIN BOTH MY NECO AND MY WAEC TOGETHER…TNKS/REGARDS,………I AWAIT UR QUICK RESPONCE.

20. PLS can I buy change of university form if I didn’t make unical my first choice of university. Wat are my chances of getting admission any hope

• You would buy change of course form.

Admission depends on your performance at the JAMB and Post-UTME screening.

21. PLS o what are my chances of getting admission into unical wen I didn’t make it my 1st or second choice Bt purchased change of university form note I got 206 in jamb any hope 4 me

22. I studied shipping management and I had upper credit in my ND I want to choose uniosun, do they accept second choice for DE and wat related course can I go for please help me

23. Avatar Agu blessing ogechi says

Will I be giving admission in funai if I put it as my second choice

24. i score 195 in jamb and 36% in post utme can i be given admission in fut

25. i score 195 in jamb and 36% in post utme can i be given admission in futa for bichemistry

26. What are the qulification of geting admission into uniben in jamb and post ume

27. Comment Text*is eksu considering 2nd choice for admission pls