Dear Nigerians, the reasons for mass failure of our teenagers in public exams are not far fetched.
1. FACEBOOK,YAHOO,TWITTER,MYSPACE and generally browsing on the internet instead of reading their books
2. ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE and EUROPEAN FOOTBALL LEAGUES: it is easy for an average nigerian teenager to know the names of all chelsea players but same youths cannot tell you the square root 25 in mathematic. Worse still is that these days instead of seeing inscriptions like UNIVERISTY or SCHOLARS on the exercise books, what you see are pictures of paloma,Drogba,Beyonce,Omotola etc
3. DSTV,Home video and african movie magic: watching television and films endlessly.European champions league,English
4. GSM and BLACKBERRY, the average nigerian teenager uses the latest and expensive gsm phones just to show off that they belong,when they are actually nothing.
5. GSM TEXT LANGUAGE, I will not be suprised to see students write words like ur(for YOUR), 2moro( For tomorrow) in their EXAM sheets
6. QUEST FOR CHEAP FAME AND WEALTH, The goverment,electronic media(tv and radio) and companies have not been helpful at all. The average nigerian youth especially the girls want to BE silver Birds most beautiful Girl and get cheap money and fame(Nobody has remembered all the previous miss world,but we still remember MOTHER THERESA),they want to win IDOLS WEST AFRICA, they want to be in NOLLYWOOD, they want to be TWO-FACE,they want to win maltina street dance ,they want to win starquest and GULDER ULTIMATE SEARCH Warning is that wealth gotten by vanity shall DIMINISH.
7. The new craze of TALENT SHOWS: Suddenly The only talents our youths now have are music,dancing,acting and stand up comedies, they no longer have talents for maths,physics and entrepreneurism.
Check out the list:
MTN PROJECT FAME,
MALTINA DANCE ALL,
IDOLS WEST AFRICA,
PEAK TALENT HUNT ETC…What a bad distraction
It is only COWBELL that sponsors national mathematics competition and give scholarships to outstanding students in UME exams
8. EVER BUSY PARENTS, Parents are always in search for money,business and jobs,they live home 5am and come back 10pm
leaving their children to the care of house helps and teachers in private schools. THEY have forgotten that out of the 24 hours in a day their
children will only spend 8am-2pm(6 hrs) in school and in hands of the teachers the remaining 18hrs is spent in the home(wether sleep or not), these same ever busy parents can not look into the books of their teenagers,they don’t monitor waht the teenagers watch nor who they
9. WEAK GOVT POLICIES: The people in Govt see all these vanities on television and radio and they will not nip them in the bud, because they are naive and corrupt and so the rot continues
These are just views of the writer, if you have something different, please share it!