Admission Seekers: What You Should Know About Admission In Nigeria- Obasi

Dear Prospective Candidates, many of you have been asking the meaning of merit, catchment, education-advantaged and education-disadvantaged states. Below are their details as provided in the guideline for admissions into Nigerian Federal Universities approaved by the Federal Government.

ADMISSION ON MERIT
Candidates with very high scores in UTME and post-UTME each year (and/or a weighted combination of both) are given first consideration for their first choice of course in their institution of choice before other candidates. Forty-five percent (45%) of the available spaces are reserved for such applicants.

CATCHMENT AREAS
To give equal opportunities to all applicants, the States of the Federation are grouped into catchment areas of each Tertiary
Institution.

It is also called Locality which, in
most cases, is the geographical and/or socio-cultural areas contiguous to the institution candidates apply to.

Consideration is given to students who fall within the catchment area of the Tertiary Institution. According to the admission guidelines, thirty-five percent (35%) of the available spaces are reserved for applicants from such states or locality.

EDUCATIONALLY LESS DEVELOPED STATES (ELDS)
Education-advantaged states are those states assumed to have produced many number of graduates while education-disadvantaged states are those states assumed to possess small number of graduates by the federal government.

In line with the Federal Character principle that is meant to ensure equality in distribution of higher education among various parts of the country, HIGH STANDARD marking scheme are used for candidates from education-advantaged states while LOW STANDARD marking scheme are used for candidates from education-disadvantaged states.

This simply mean that candidates from education-advantaged states are required to make a higher scores while lower scores are required from candidates from education-disadvantaged states in order for them to be admitted into Federal Universities.

According to admission guideline approaved by the federal government, The following states are considered Educationally Less Developed or Disadvantaged States (ELDS):

Adamawa, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Benue, Borno, Cross River, Ebonyi, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Kastina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe, and Zamfara.

Candidates from the above states are given special concession for admission and 20% of the available spaces are reserved for applicants from such states or locality.

Kindly Note that Anambra, Imo, Lagos, Ogun, and Oyo states are specifically graded as education-advantaged states.

Also a (60:40) Science/Arts ratio for universities and other degree awarding institutions was announced by the federal government meaning that 60% of candidates to be admitted shall be science students while the remaining 40% shall be arts students.

Finally, it is important to note that the above guidelines are applied in all regular undergraduate admissions of Nigerian Universities And Allied institutions.

Thank you.
– Obasi. D. C. Chinedu

VNTI PUBLICATIONS

Comments

  1. victor atotileto says:

    Tenk u

  2. Adeniyi ibukun says:

    Thank u

  3. Daz gud

Leave a Reply Or A Question