>UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS
2005/ 2006 POST UME TEST
(SUBJECT: PHYSICS )
(QUESTIONS: 1 TO 15)
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
1. A car engine uses 24KW useful power to provide a driving force of 600N that moves the car at a constant speed. Calculate the speed of the car.
2. Identify the correct ones of the following statements / facts.
I. Pure water freezes at 00C under normal pressure.
II. Water has its highest density at 40C
III. Water has its highest mass at 40C
(a) I only
(b) II only
(c) I and II
(d) I and III only.
3. The linear expansively of a metal is 1.2 x 10 -6 K -1. The metal is made into a cube of 10cm. The cube is heated through a temperature of 50oC, what will be the increase in volume of the metal cube?
(a) 1.8 x 10-8 m3
(b) 1.163 x 10-6m3
(d) 180 x 10-8 m3
4. There are lots of equation s in physics ,some equation in physic are true under all condition while others are true only under certain conditions .which of the following is /are true under all conditions?
I. Equation of force; F = ma
II. Gravitation F=GMm r2
III. Wave motion V=f?
(a) I only
(b) II only
(c) II only
(d) II and III only
5. Two progressive waves of frequency 300Hz are superimposed to produce a stationary wave in which adjacent nodes are 1.5m apart. Calculate the speed ofthe progressive waves.
6. A listener can detect the instrument from which a note is being sounded due to the fact that different instruments produce the same note with different
7. Two coherent waves travelling in the same direction are superimposed. Whatshould be the phrase difference between the waves for maximum destruction interference to occur?
8. An object is placed at a distance of 2f from a converging lens of focal length f. How far will the image of the object be from the lens?
9. A floating loaded test tube bounces up and down with amplitude of 5cm and an angular frequency of 10rads-1. Determine the magnitude of the maximum acceleration of the floating test tube.
10. What value of resistances would convert a moving coil meter to read 10V full scale if it has an internal resistance of 100-ohms and capable of deflecting full scale with a current of 10mA.
11. Determine the amount of heat generated in a load of resistances 8-ohms if an alternating current of peak value 5A passes through it for 100s.
12. Which of these statements is otherwise referred to as dynamo rule?
(a) emf is induced in a circuit whenever there is a change in the magnetic flux linked with the circuit.
(b) The induced current in a conductor is in such a direction as to oppose the change producing it.
(c) A force is exerted on a current carrying conductor in a magnetic field.
(d) The magnitude of the induced emf in a circuit is proportional to the rate of change of the number of lines of magnetic forces linking the circuit.
13. The relationship between the directions of the magnetic field, the current and the motion of a current carrying wire in the field is easily remembered using
(a) Maxwell's screw rule
(b) Ampere's swimming rule
(c) Right –hand grip rule
(d) Fleming's left hand rule
14. An ammeter connected to the voltammeter in an electrolysis of copper (II) tetraoxosulphate (IV) solution experiment registered 1.0A for 30 minutes while 6.6 X 10-4 kg of copper is liberated. Determine the error in the ammeter reading if electrochemical equivalent of copper is 3.30 x 10-7 kgC-1
VNTI- A PASSION FOR ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE