>OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY
2006 POST UME SCREENING TEST
(QUESTIONS 11- 31)
11. My father made no bones about telling his friend how he felt about his behavior. This means that my father
(a) Spoke well to his friends about his behaviour
(b) Spoke honestly to his friend about his behaviour
(c) Spoke in the open to his friend about his behaviour
(d) Spoke honestly to his friend about his behaviour
(e) Spoke with all his might to his friend about his behavior
12. After much talk, my brother thought it was to hit the hay. This means that my brother thought it was time to.
(a) Make hay while the sun shines
(b) Burn the collection of hay
(c) Go to bed
(d) Keep quiet
(e) Tell the others off
13. The house master was foaming in the mouth when he discovered that some student had sneaked out of the hostel. This means the house master
(A) was very sad
(b) Had epilepsy
(c) became silent and calculative
(d) was uncontrollably furious
(e) was jittery
14. Who told Mable she could sing? She really laid an egg at the talent show. This means
(a) Mable's performance was very embarrassing
(b) Mable's performance was very interesting
(c) Mable's performance was very impressive
(d) Mable's performance was not very bad
(e)Mable's performance was like that of a hen laying an egg
15. Mr. Johnson is on the warpath because his car broke down again. This means Mr. Johnson is
(a) Ready to fight his mechanic
(b) Started fighting the government because the road was bad
(c) Very infuriated
(d) Fighting a war with his family in the car
(e) Drawing a battle in between him and his mechanic
SUBSCRIBE FOR OUR EMAIL ALERT TO BE NOTIFIED OF THE REMAINING PASTQUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
FOR QUESTION 16 -20, Choose among the option A –E the word that is nearest in meaning to the italicized word in each of the sentences
16. As he watched the winning film his face remained inscrutable.
(d) Impossible to please
(e ) enjoyed
17. He resented being criticized every time by his boss.
(d) Carefully considered
18. The President announced that all political prisoners have been pardoned.
(b) Severely rebuked
(d ) reprieved
19. The most striking thing about the just-concluded World-cup Final in Germany was the complete eclipse of the defending champion Brazil.
(a) Sudden disappearance
(d) Brilliant performance
20. His latest album has done much to boost his reputation as a writer
For question 21- 25, choose from the option A-E the word or phrase opposite in meaning to the underlined word.
21. Andrew is too garrulous for my liking
(d) Easy going
22. The man holds parochial view on almost every issue.
23. The doctor certified the tumor malignant
24. The people appreciated the chairman for his invaluable contributions to the community's development.
25. Your idea on this issue seems to be quite novel.
( a) Bookish
26. Which of the following statement is true with regard to summary writing?
(a) Details are more important than main ideas
(b) Main ideas are more important than example
(c) Illustrations are more important than main ideas
(d) Elaborations exemplifications and details are more important than main ideas
(e) None of the above
Choose the appropriate option to complete the following:
27. God should take control of the heart of the organizers of this Post-UME screening exercise; they should not make this text ………………than UME.
(a) More tough
(b) More tougher
(c) Much tougher
(d) More much tougher
28. At the crusade, we prayed to God to……………..this on us.
(a) Breath His breathe
(b) Breathe His breath
(c) Breathe His breathe
(d) Breathe His breath
29. The chairman. Committee of Deans needs to see your friend Dele urgently, do you know his………….?
(a) Where and about
(b) Where abouts
(c) Where about
(d) Where and abouts
30. "As from now on, this university will have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice" said the vice- chancellor. The vice- chancellor said that
(a) As from then, that university would have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice
(b) As from now, this university would have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice
(c) As from then, his university will have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice
(d) As from then, that university would begin to have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice
31. The teacher took me for one of those students who could not spell such words as
(a) 'Miscelanous and maintenance'
(b) 'Miscelaneous and meintainance'
(c) 'miscellaneous and maintenance'
(d) 'miscellanous and maintainance'
REGISTER TO BE NOTIFIED OF THE REMAINING POST UME PAST QUESTION PAPERS AND OTHERS
19 . A
VNTI- A PASSION FOR ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE